Thursday 2 September 2010

Day 18 Montpellier

The intrepid tourist headed back in to central Montpellier  by tram for more sight seeing this morning after a leisurely breakfast and a read of the local paper. Today is back to school day across the whole of France. Judging by the centre of Montpellier, I am guessing that it was back to university day, or Freshers Week, as well. The centre of the town was moving with teenagers, all heading somewhere, seemingly aimlessly, and laughing a lot about it. 
At first it was charming but after a bit I must confess to feeling a little, whispers it, old.

Out with the introspection and on with the sight seeing. First it was the Peyrou with its Royal Plaza dominated by Louis X14 on his horse. This is on the very edge of the old centre and is the highest point in Montpellier which at 55m is not very high and doesn't provide much of a panoramic view.  Then I just had to go back to la place d’Europe. It was just as grand as yesterday but curiously empty. Then on to Sanctuaire Saint-Roch. Saint Roch is the patron saint of Montpellier. Then …my heart just wasn’t in the tourist stuff  today and I just wandered around aimlessly before perching myself on a park bench to watch the world go by and listen to my i pod.

Maybe I just noticed it more but there were a lot of beggars on the streets and quite a lot of people sleeping rough in the parks. This was in stark contrast to the obvious wealth of the city and most of its citizens. I don’t think that I would like to live in a city. I can see the attractions but there are too many downsides and for me the French have a good expression “trop du monde” – literally too much of the world – too many people!

Today feels strange. I am nearly there and I am glad that I am nearly there but I am sorry that it has to end. It is as if real life has been put on hold for a while which it has. I have enjoyed it immensely and I am about ready to stop but I am not sure that I want it to end just yet. It does feel a bit anti-climactic but hopefully that will be replaced with a feeling of satisfaction by Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Brian, Chin up for that last push. You have done magnificently and the money that is rolling in is testimony to your wonderful efforts. Montpellier was a major factor in my working life as that is where IBM built all the major hardware for most of our customers in Scotland. I suspect that 11 years after my retirement (Anniversary this Sunday coming) that it's role is much diluted as will be the number meaningfully employed by IBM and its local suppliers.
    Just wallow in your achievment on this trip for a bit longer. It is always good to come home but you will have given yourself a great start to your retirement.
    Well done, Brian. B&S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    รับ ซื้อ บิ๊ก ไบค์

    ReplyDelete