Thursday 22 July 2010

Training in the South of France

Today is the first time in two weeks that the temperature in the shade has dropped below 30 degrees Celsius. It is a chilly 27 and I have been driven indoors briefly to check e mail and write this.

How is the warm weather training going? Well I think it is going very well.I have been out in the heat getting some kilometres into my legs and generally assuring myself that I have not bitten off more than I can chew.

My Shimano SPD sandals are great. They keep the feet firmly attached but let the air circulate around your feet. They are very comfortable both on and off the bike. I am training on an old BSA with an equally old Brooks professional saddle. I could do with more than the five gears but it is great for training on.

My wife bought me a new pair of bib shorts for my birthday which are on the snazzy side. However lycra clad older men don't merit a second glance in this part of the world.

The sponsorship is starting to roll in which is great but it carries with it a certain pressure to perform. To all the sponsors so far I say "Thank you very much indeed it is greatly appreciated" To those who are prevaricating I say "Get your money out - it is a very good cause"

I got "The man who cycled the world" by Mark Beaumont for my birthday. What an incredible trip that was. It puts my little trip into an appropriate context. It is a very good read and I would recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately there are only two more days of warm weather training before we need to return to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment