Friday 27 August 2010

Day 12 Lyon Centre

Famous citizens of Lyon
Today was to  be a rest day but I have discovered that my brilliant Shimano sandals are really good to walk in for I have walked many kilometres. After the morning rain it turned into a beautiful day despite "la meteo" which said that it was to be "thundery showers" ( I translate) I set off to take the tourist bus around the city "hop on and off as often as you like" however the next bus is 90 minutes behind. How often would you hop off? It was great. I would never have discovered this much in a month of random cycling. Headphones provided and choose from six languages. At one point I wondered if I had stumbled into Italy by mistake for I was surrounded by "va bene"
What have I learned about Lyon?
Cathedrale de St Jean
It has a surprisingly small population of around half a million people in the city itself but many many more in the outskirts. It was an important Roman city which was the capital of Gaul. It suffered badly during the revolution. It sits on both the Saone and Rhone which flow together to become the only slightly augmented Rhone. Its reputation for its cuisine comes from "les meres" the ladies who were cooks to the wealthy Lyonnais then started restaurants at the start of the 20th century. I like the place a lot and intend to return sometime soon for a more extended visit. If you wish to check my facts or read further then click here 
The tourist cruise on the Saone wasn't up to the same standard and I understood exactly the same amount of commentary in French as I did in English. Pity the poor Italians who were left looking at the wrong side of the boat. As Sebastien said on my return " 0 - 0 "
I have had a great time in Lyon. I will definitely return. I am rested - the legs are ready for the next stage and  I look forward to seeing the sights of the valley of the Rhone that I have previously flown past on "l'autoroute du soleil"
The plan such as it is: Lyon to Valence (110 kms ish)

Brasserie Georges
Valence to Orange (110 kms ish)

Orange to Montpellier (110 kms ish)

Montpellier to Beziers ou Narbonne

I have got a full week to get there. My inclination at the moment is to stay 2 days at each stop and have only a short hop at the end. However plan b is to get to Montpellier as soon as possible and spend some time there.

"On vira" -  we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Good going Brian. You seem to be really enjoying the trip which is great. Stay safe. Bonne route et bon courage.
    S & J

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds very exciting Brian.. although a little too adventurous if you ask me!! Anyway - it's got to beat working :) Enjoy the rest of the trip and be safe. Helen x

    ReplyDelete