Thursday 19 August 2010

Day 4 Soissons to Sezanne

I ignored my mobile “It’s time to get up it’s 6.30” all the way until 7.30. On the map it looked like quite an easy day – pretty much a straight road on the D1 Soissons, Chateau –Thierry, Montmirail to Sezanne. A straight forward 100kms which turned into a nightmare.

The D1 was more like the M1 with lorries flashing past at top speed and to make matters worse there was a head wind and no obvious alternative route. So it was head down and grind, and grind and grind. The worst offenders for passing too close were invariably British registered cars and lorries.

The worst part of this hateful road was the fact that there was not a flat stretch all day – not one!  Well apart from the bridge over the river in Chateau - Thierry where a nice couple passing by agreed to capture my pain.

Because the road was so straight you could see the next hill reaching away into the distance. The head wind stopped me getting up any great speed on the down hill sections. I now know that all of my gears are in good working order because they have been well used including the lowest gear of all. Nesles la Montagne ( the name should have warned me) lay at the foot of the longest an steepest hill so far. Think Cadger’s Brae followed by Annfield Brae followed by Mains Brae followed by the road from Falkland to Craigmead and you will just about have it. (for non-Fife readers these are the steepest hills in Fife) I made it about half way in “granny gear” before engaging my lowest gear (walking) to reach the top.

I broke the speed limit twice today. Once down into Chateau –Thierry and once down into Sezanne. The 50 km/h limit was easy to break on such steep down hill sections. However the exhilarating down hill sections were no recompense for the constant battle up hill only to go down the other side only to battle up hill only to go down the other side ……It has been a difficult day and I arrived in Sezanne in good spirits but knackered.

The hotel however has made it worthwhile. I was welcomed warmly and shown where I could put my bike in the garage at the back of the hotel. The Hotel de France occupies an imposing position in “centre ville.” The very formal dark and ancient reception area and staircase gives way to bright nicely furnished modern rooms with tv and wi fi access. The dining room looks good and the breakfast area opens onto an internal “cour” with tables and chairs. Very French. Very welcome. F1 hotels are great for a stop over, sleep and go, but they are very impersonal.

I have decided to take my first rest day and to stay here for two nights. It has been the most difficult day so far, but I made it, and I am now pretty sure that I can finish what I have started.

Fortunately the wi fi is working (after typing a 28 digit cle wi fi - twice) but you would really have to want to connect to go through the required hoops . Dinner beckons. I didn't dare eat lunch with all of the hills - cereal bars only.

3 comments:

  1. Terrific progress, Brian. Good you have decided to have a rest day to make it a holiday rather than a chore. Recognise all the ups with no downs but you are heading in the right direction. Delighted that the old Dawes is delivering even in walk mode. Keep taking the calories and the fluids and it will all happen. Take it a day at a time. Enjoy! B&S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going reasonably well although, as you have found out, there is always the unexpected.

    Bon courage,

    Avril & Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Brian a tough few days weather and hill wise. Enjoy the rest day and most of all enjoy France, what a great way to see all these new places. Looking forward to the next blog, Anne and George

    ReplyDelete