Friday 20 August 2010

Rest Day 1

Sezanne is a pretty little town. I am right in the heart of "centre ville" and taking it very easy today. A leisurely stroll around the town - a seat in the square watching the world go by, a picnic lunch in the garden of the "hotel de ville" and then a beer in the cafe. The bike has been lovingly cleaned and oiled ready for more action and the cycling gear is hanging rather inelegantly from my bedroom window.
.
Last evening I ate very well in the elegant dining room not an eyelid was batted at my lack of sartorial elegance. I began with "fromage de tete" which was described as a bit like "charcuterie" and turned out to be a bit like my granny's potted head. It was not "nouvelle cuisine" and i could hardly climb the stairs to my room at the end of the meal. Huge chunks of pork served with spaghetti and a mushroom and olive sauce was followed by a magnificent "tarte aux pommes" in a lovely "creme anglaise" and smothered in cream - heart attack on a plate but delicious. I can't wait to see what is on tonight's menu.
Tired of paying to receive advertising calls on my mobile I bought a cheap French mobile this afternoon and I will turn my UK mobile off.

The number is: 06 13 82 55 55

I am very wary of saying this but tomorrow should be a fairly easy 41 miles to Troyes. The legs are fine(ish) and I am looking forward to getting back on the road.

Thank you to all of my sponsors and followers. Your support is very heartening and rewarding. I look forward to reading your comments whenever I have internet access.

2 comments:

  1. Brian - Hope your dinner was as satisfying tonight. Just a hint on Via Michelin. I used to put in intermediate towns if I wanted to get a stopping place or a variation on the route. You must be around a third of the way which is great. Go for a day at a time,I found that gave a me a recurring and much encouraging feeling of achievement. Treat every day as a holiday with a wee cycle as part of your day's fun. S phoned P and she seems in good tad so that is great news. Try a chicken sandwich during the day too. Good calories and sustaining. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bert, I'll try to think of it that way. The chicken sandwich may be a bit more difficult. It doesn't feature too often as the "plat du jour"

    ReplyDelete