Wednesday 27 June 2012

Barnsley to Harrogate

After a great night's sleep and a huge breakfast ( thanks a million Jodie and Stephanie ) Jodie, Stephanie and Elaine arrived and we went to collect my trusty steed from the other Barnsley Premier Inn (where they had kindly agreed to store it overnight).
After a round of photos and much well wishing I set off for Harrogate a mere 36 miles away.
"3 hours. What a doddle. It's like another day off."  I thought, foolishly as it transpired.
Immediately there was a series of huge hills and a tricky gusty strong headwind which slowed progress and made the downhill sections treacherous, as the gusty wind caught the bike and pushed it across the road.


Not an enjoyable trip to Harrogate  but Susan and Geoff made up for it with their friendly welcome and excellent hospitality.
I felt immediately at home with them and the reality lived up to expectations created by our e mail correspondence.

We watched England tiptoe out of the European Cup.  Susan kindly rose early to make breakfast and see me off and Geoff added his support.

Susan suggested that I left what I didn't need anymore and they would transport it home for me so I left more than I kept including all of my under utilised cooking paraphernalia which should help with the big days ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Brian - you are a hero. In fact you are ******* mad hero. I hate driving that A68. I thought you were aware of that particular challenge. That is a serious end to such a serious challenge. Magic Achievement and loads raised for a deserving cause and in the name of an obviously good friend for you and Pauline.Delighted you made it safely and on schedule. Chapeau! Bert H

    ReplyDelete