Thursday 14 June 2012

La Rochelle to Bretignolles sur mer

Since it was supposed to be rest day I turned over when the alarm went off at 6.30 and it was 10 before I set off.
I got to within 1 km of where I wanted to go when I hit the "rocade" - ringroad. No bikes, no choice but to head 5 km back to "centre ville" and 5kms in the right direction so it was nearly noon before I was clear of La Rochelle. The Basques would have been horrified. 

I didn't have any great plans other than to see how far up the Vendee coast I could get.
Much to my surprise I caught a tail wind at last and glorious sunshine, so I made really good progress and arrived at Bretignolles sur mer at about 7 pm, having stopped for a picnic lunch, and an expensive beer on the sea front at Les Sables d' Olonne.

 I am really getting the hang of this camping lark. I got the campsite for half price and then cooked a special omelette with chorizo and olives washed down, naturally, with a nice little rose.




It was a really good day. I am looking forward to seeing if St Jean de Monts is as impressive as I remember it - it was 25 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment