Thursday 21 June 2012

Oxford to Coalvile

It rained all night again and yet again I packed everything away wet.

It was a foggy, drizzly, murky morning as I set off towards Oxford centre. I had decided that it would be easier to go through the centre than to do battle with the lorries on the ring road.

At the first set of lights I stopped alongside a guy with a rucksack on his back. I asked if he was going in or through and was pleased when he agreed to let me follow him through the centre. We got chatting and he was heading for Bicester - a 75 minute commute. Mutual respect was established and I see tonight that he has donated on the web site. Thank you very much!

It (the weather) gradually cleared up over the course of the morning. The day was uneventful but the road was very busy and I had to maintain my concentration. My lovely Brooks saddle which had gradually become too soft had got wet overnight and was in need of attention ( I didn't have the right tool). In Southam I came across a local bike shop so I stopped to see of they could help. The boy in the shop said that his mum was riding London to Paris for charity next week so I was able to sponsor her as payment for his help. He turned the screw at the front of the saddle which stretches the leather and makes it firmer.

My seat is now as good as new. On to Barnsley tomorrow and the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment