Friday 22 June 2012

Coalville to Barnsley

I have finally made it to Barnsley.
Although I put on a confident air I was never entirely sure that I could do it particularly with the time restriction. It is a strange feeling because this is only goal 1 I have still to make it back to Freuchie by Wednesday afternoon.

Today has not been a fun ride. It has rained nearly all day and this afternoon a dangerously gusty strong wind got up making each of the many descents tricky. Through the centre of both Derby and Sheffield was never going to be easy (but there was no realistic alternative)

The entry to Derby was exceptionally busy and then I saw the horse drawn hearse and the crowds of onlookers. At the time I thought that it might have been the funeral of  a soldier from Afghanistan but it turned out it was the six children who had died in a house fire.

Sheffield was horrible! The road surfaces were appalling and the drivers behaved as if they had never seen a bike before - perhaps they hadn't because there were no bike lanes and precious few allowances for bikes.

The road from Sheffield to Barnsley was steep and horrible made worse by the sign that announced that I was entering Barnsley fully 6 miles and several very steep climbs before the town centre.

Putting up a tent in this weather was out of the question so I have allowed myself the luxury of a Premier Inn room for the night right in the centre of Barnsley. The receptionist was excellent and suggested bringing my bike up in the lift (4 floors up from the car park) and she stowed my bike and gear  in a spare room next to reception.

A hot shower beckons and then off to explore Barnsley - centre ville..

2 comments:

  1. Chapeau,Brian! Top man! Fantastic - the map I was following didn't look too good for today and neither did the forecast. Brilliant and Well done! Remember that offer from Lauder or wherever on your last night/morning before home - name the time and I will relieve you of unnecessary bagagge.Now for that last push on the granny gears and you will be home! Bert H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your incredibly kind offer Bert but I should be able to leave some gear in Harrogate. Thanks for all of your support to both of you.

    ReplyDelete