Tuesday 19 June 2012

St Malo to Portsmouth

I made an early start, said goodbye to my chums from Rugby and headed for the port and the Brittany Ferries office to beg a space on an empty boat. No amount of charm or charity references could avoid a £25 admin fee but I was on my way home - with two days in hand  just in case the doubting Thomases who thought that my schedule in Britain was over optimistic were right.

I was joined in my prime spot on the boat by a lovely couple from Southsea who were the only other cyclists on board. Simon was a sprightly 82 and Kathleen was a marvelous 70. They had Belgian electric bikes which allowed them to keep on enjoying their cycling trips.

They insisted on showing me the way to the ferry which for the tiny distance covered was expensive @£3.80 Simon kindly insisted on giving me change for the ferry but in the end I had to use a note. (I will donate his change to the cause with thanks.) I really liked them and wish them a long and happy retirement.

The crossing was calm and uneventful. I succeeded in charging everything electrical  for two days ahead.

It should have been a simple 5 mile trip trip to the night's campsite but the owner wasn't very good at instructions. I phoned when I was within half a mile and she sent me on a wild goose chase which added a few miles to the trip then charged me £12 for the worst facilities so far.

The Ellerslie Camping and Caravan site is not to be recommended although some workers appeared to be living there permanently - poor souls. One night was enough for me!

1 comment:

  1. Brian - only one person needs no doubt about doing the job - you. Sure your confidence will be at its peak as you crossed the Channel and enjoyed a typical British Tourist welcome. Just think of all those people waiting to meet you in Yorkshire, those who are sponsoring you and keeping up to date with your travails and travels. NO doubts, only concerns. If you want a light load from Lauder or thereabouts, e-mail me and I will pick up your worldy goods and allow you to float home to Fife. Terrific stuff young fella. Keep right on to the end of the road as Harry Lauder so fittingly put it! Bert H

    ReplyDelete