Wednesday 20 June 2012

Oxford

I awoke to a beautiful sunny morning - the tent was roasting. It must be at least 10 I thought but it was only 6.30! Up and at 'em by 8, I took the bus from the park and ride which was  immediately outside the campsite.

Everywhere you turn in Oxford there is some gothic spire or some medieval tower. The students just take it for granted but the Japanese tourists were all over it like the bridge on the river Kwai.(not very pc I know)
 I strolled, I took a few photos I strolled some more - frankly I was starting to get bored(you can have too much of a good thing) when I noticed a huge amount of security around and an inordinate number of police.
I asked one of them if Oxford was always like this. He explained that it was a special graduation day and that Aung San Suu Kyi was being presented with an honorary degree. I decided that this piece is serendipity should not be wasted so I took up my place in the waiting hordes to try to get a glimpse of this famous lady.
I was rewarded a few minutes later with a beaming smile and a fabulous demonstration of serenity and dignity amid the pomp and splendor of the parade.

The crowd cheered whenever she raised her hand to wave and it was evident that the crowd was gathered for only one purpose. Some animal activists had tried to hijack the event for their own publicity but they were drowned out by the cheering for the diminutive Burmese lady. It felt a touch Orwellian to see the police videoing the animal rights protesters who sounded more like debaters than activists.


On the way back I enjoyed a pint at the Head of the River which I recognised from Morse.

I decided that punting could remain unexplored.

1 comment:

  1. Brian - glad to see that you have made your planned rest day at Oxford. What a day to pick! That early ferry was meant to be. Glad to see that England's good fortune means that Blatter thinks goal line technology is a mandatory now. You might not have to spend too many more nights watching them pinch another result though - this incitement is the test for other comments from fellow blog followers south of the border. It is good to see you getting north by degrees too. Keep taking the optimism tablets. You are almost back in Fife. Take care Bert H

    ReplyDelete