Thursday 14 June 2012

Royan to La Rochelle

It rained all night - again!
I got up early (so I thought) to find my Basque friends of last evening having breakfast and ready to leave by 7am.
I made it by 8 and it had stopped raining.
 I had packed the tent away soaking wet but rain means no headwind doesn't it? Not this morning.
Rain and a headwind but the very busy road from Royan to Rochefort had a "bande d'urgence" which was smooth so I was able to make good progress to Rochefort where the road turned to fast dual carriageway and I was no longer welcome.
Fortunately the tourist office knew of a secret quiet way to La Rochelle where I met a really nice couple who were cycling from the Italian border to St Malo in 50km stages staying in Hotels. Between us we managed to navigate a difficult section then I left them to potter arriving in La Rochelle around 4.

 By 5 the tent was up and I was sipping a beer on the "vieux port" (gulping would be more accurate).


I was able to try out my super duper jetboil stove for the first time tonight - lardons and omelette was my first delicious effort.

I am starting to get the hang of this camping lark. Sunshine certainly helps. I met an English lady at the washing up area who let me use her waste washing up suds to wash my dishes. Such generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment