Friday 15 June 2012

Bretignolles to Cordemais

It rained most of the night, again, but the strong wind had dried everything by the time I packed the tent away (for all the difference it was to make).

The strong wind was almost behind as I went to explore St Gilles Croix de Vie and St Jean de Monts.

I didn't recognise either of them from our family camping holidays 25 years ago.

 In St Jean de Monts I nearly came a real cropper. I was sailing along the promenade when I hit a patch of sand which had been blown onto the piste. The front wheel started to go from under me and the weight of the front panniers made it worse but somehow I stayed upright and clipped in. But I was left shaking like a leaf and actively seeking a different route.
From my new route out of St Jean de Monts to the crossing of the Loire at Le Pellerin was uneventful but quick with a great wind at my back. The boat across the Loire is free. I met a Swiss couple on the boat who were cycling back to Switzerland. A quick 15kms and I would be set up by 3 o clock.

I should have known better. The camping was closed for upgrading work so I was advised by the municipal worker. Fortunately he was able to tell me where the nearest open camp site was - only another 8 kms. However it rained -  really rained,  for 7 of the 8 km and I arrived drenched to the skin.

 I have never erected a tent in driving rain before - an experience I hope not to repeat. However it is an excellent site (7 euros) and after a well deserved hot shower I am now watching France v Ukraine in the large public space (unusual but very welcome). Who knows what tomorrow will bring - yesterday I nearly bought a sun hat!

1 comment:

  1. Brian - glad you are enjoying all these homemaking experiences. Makes a fine change from just home building. Looks like you might just try to slide past Le Mans 24 Hour where it looked like it was drying out. Keep up the good work. England's green and pleasant land awaits you in a few days. Keep safe - Susan and Bert H

    ReplyDelete