Wednesday 20 June 2012

Portsmouth to Oxford

I set off good and early and the road immediately started to go UP.

The workers rushing to get to work were not keen to leave me too much room so I ended up shaking my fist a few times. I came a cross a road biker commuting to work who had had two flats. I offered him an inner tube but he declined on the basis that I would probably need it and someone was coming to pick him up.
He said he was in court that morning I hope he was a lawyer (he was too young to be a judge).

We exchanged bike talk until his lift arrived.

The terrain continued up - at least up then down then up. I stopped for a coffee in Arlesford which was a lovely town with individual rather than chain shops.

I followed my via Michelin route as far as Basildon when I gave up in favour of following a main road.

I reached Oxford by 6 and by 8 I had pitched the tent, showered, eaten a giant fish supper and was in the pub watching England steal the game from Ukraine in the football.

The camping and caravan club site is within a mile of Oxford city centre but set in leafy surrounds by the river bank.

Sights of Oxford here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment